To our visitors, honored guests, SCHS faculty, friends, and to the class of 2015, it is a great honor and privilege to be the principal of this great school and this special class. In today’s society we hear too often about what is wrong with our society and with our students. Today we are here to celebrate what is right.
Every graduating class is special and each of them are special for their own reasons. The class of 2015 is the class of Heart. Despite what people may say or think this class cares about their classmates, their school, and others. I could tell you of numerous stories of this class over four years which demonstrate their heart: examples of kindness, examples of care for their classmates, and the hours of community service. However this story summarizes it the most:
One day after running around putting out fires I came back to my office to find one of my veteran teachers waiting on me. She was visibly upset and crying and she said wiping tears that she needed to speak with me. This year has been a rough year for many of our faculty members personally. So I knew something had to be wrong. I simply thought “What now?” I escorted her into my office and closed the door. She was still crying hysterically and visibly shaken. I could not make sense of anything she said. I was bracing for some really bad news about her family or someone close to her. Then she said “My Class”. I got her to calm down some and I asked her what about her class? What was wrong? With a shaking had she hands me an envelope. Through sobs she said they gave me this .” “What am I supposed to do?” “ I can’t believe they did this”, “I’ve never had students do anything like that” and then she just loses it! I take the card and open it… with apprehension. I have no illusions sometimes our students can be a handful and if this veteran teacher was shook … I was not sure what to expect. The students who were all seniors had given her a card to show their appreciation for all she had done for them because that day was their last day of class with her. But that was not all that was in the card. Then I saw it… and I couldn’t believe what I was seeing…they had taken up money and stuffed $400 into the card for her to say thank you!
The Class of 2015 has HEART. You have good hearts. Hearts that have been poured into for years by all of the many people and supporters who have helped you along your journey represented here physically and in spirit at your graduation today.
Class of 2015 when you leave here no matter where you go, please do not lose your heart. Don’t lose your heart because your heart is the key to all that you want and desire. It is your gift and will be your most powerful possession.
· Your heart is your power. Your heart is what makes you special .Your heart is your secret weapon. It is your superpower.
· It is your heart that you will be your instrument through which you compose the sympathy and master piece of your life.
· It is with the passion in your heart that you will set the world on fire. And place your would be competition on notice.
· It is your heart will allow you to take bricks that are hurled at you , the stones that are thrown , and the mud that is slung at you by your enemies for your harm and turn around and use them to build your empire.
So your Job is to Protect your heart, good heart
· Protect your heart from greed and greedy people. The love of money may be the root of all evil but is the sure destruction and corruption of good hearts.
· Protect your heart from people who whisper sweet nothings while giving you nothing but taking everything
· Protect your heart from hate and hateful people. Hate and love can not dwell in the same place
Your heart, a good heart, will serve as your most valuable tool and asset.
Use your heart to dream the impossible because the
· Use your heart not your head to forgive people. Because when you forgive people with your heart you mean it. When you forgive with your head you’re just keeping score.
· Use your heart to choose to do what is right and for the power to stand for what is right and the strength to stand alone if necessary.
· Use your heart to illuminate your path in dark times. Truth is light.Your heart speaks the language of truth.
· Use your heart to love without conditions. There are 3 things which will last forever--faith, hope, and love--and the greatest of these is love. Your legacy must be built with love. Love comes from your heart.
On your journey wherever you go, Your heart will serve as your compass and guide
· Listen to your heart Before you say a fast YES And Listen to your heart before you say quick No
· Listen to your heart definitely before you give up and listen to heart carefully before you even start!
· Listen to your heart before you choose a potential soul mate And Listen to your heart before you un choose what could be a potential soul mate
When faced with tough decisions Always ask yourself these 3 questions:
· Is what I am about to SAY reflective of WHAT is in my heart?
· Is what I am about to DO reflective of WHO I am in my heart?
· Would this make all the people I love and who love me PROUD?
Now Class of 2015 I have to be honest and tell you that in real life there are not Disney endings or fairy tales. Now you have some great times ahead of you. However, the truth is life can be unpredictable at times. The truth is that there will be times that Your heart will just break. The world can be a messy, dark and treacherous place. However Class of 2015, I have good news and great news. The good news is that a broken heart can always be repaired. All that is needed to repair a broken heart is a drop of love, a drop of support, a drop of encouragement and a little hope. The great news is that you ARE and have been surrounded by people who love you, support you, and will forever encourage you. Just look around this center. And the greatest part, is that it doesn’t matter when and it doesn’t matter where, it doesn’t matter if we are with you or not with you , if you are near or you are far… LOVE is eternal and has not limits of distance. So when you find yourself alone, confused and scared… listen to your heart and hear our voices say YOU CAN DO IT!
Now Class of 2015, I say these words say to you with my full HEART. I love each and every one of you. On behalf of the faculty and staff of South Cobb High school, WE love each and every one of you. Class of 2015 It has indeed been my Honor and I am very Proud to have been your Principal but our time together has come to an end. I will miss you. However I hope that whenever you find yourself in doubt that you take the time to Remember these final words from my heart to yours: You are not what people say. You are not what people may think. You are better than they could ever imagine. Because You are forever South Cobb! Now GO FORTH and DO MIGHTY and GREAT THINGS!!!